For most audio/ video enthusiast – taking on the task to build your own home theater would be a huge endeavor. A good home theater seating layout or home theater plan will be most successful if you understand how the components work together.
What are your final goals with your Home Theater Design?
1. Do you want a custom theater room experience or do you plan to use an existing room and just add the playback equipment?
2. A complete custom home theater is a very time consuming project. In many situations it is best to subcontract the job out to a reputable company able to perform your build.
However, if you happen to be a person that is ‘handy’ or enjoys building projects you could very well accomplish this with your own skills.
3. A theater that is merely installed into an existing room would certainly fit most consumers’ budgets much easier than going the custom route.
And in most average sized homes this will give you the most satisfying results.
Music can be played and heard throughout the house and not just in the “Theater” room.
*This can also be negative- if viewing movies late at night while others in the house are trying to sleep.
Custom Home Theater: What might an Everyman’s Theater look like??
What challenges should I expect when converting an existing room?
1. Home Theater Room acoustics will be determined primarily by the dimensions of your room and furnishings for better or worse.
2. There are minor changes you can make to the home theater acoustics with DSP and room treatments. 3. If this room shares space with the rest of the house you may not be willing to use some of the solutions that achieve the most dramatic results. Such as room treatments and acoustic traps.
4. If this home theater room is also the family room you may have to deal with WAF as well.
5. Electrical loads and requirements are high for some equipment like power amplifiers.
Make sure you check the maximum electrical loads of all you gear when you build your own home theater.
In order to get maximum performance you will need adequate electrical supply.
It may be necessary to make a dedicated line run to the panel specifically for you audio/video system.
What are some Advantages of a Custom Home Theater?
• Usually, you can be far more aggressive with acoustic treatments and room treatment solutions within a dedicated space.
• These dedicated rooms are often closed off from other parts of the house and sometimes even isolated with floating floors, walls, and ceilings.
• Isolation will keep the noise level within the theater very controlled. This will also keep outside noises like traffic and other household activities to a minimum level. It is nearly impossible to make a home theater completely silent from other parts of the house though.
• In many situations it is possible to hear very little from within the theater (from other parts of the home). But the noise ‘from’ the theater is typically high in volume from sub woofers. These high SPL’s are extremely difficult to eliminate entirely from being heard outside the Theater room (from other parts of the home).
• In most Theater cases it is best to limit sound transfer with the use of home theater acoustics panels. These will do a very good job of getting the in room theater acoustics correct.Acoustics theory and measurements are necessary to achieve best results though.
Because of Deliberate Acoustic Treatment the Audio and video experience can be taken to the extreme.
If you have decided or are considering to build your own Home Theater keep these things in mind.
Develop a solid home theater plan before you ever set your first stud. You will be glad that you did! For Home Theater System Setup and measurements -click here.
Go to DIY Home Theater Design