Want to Build Your Own Speaker Crossover Network?
This really isn’t hard, and you can do it!Use your computer to perform the functions of the speaker crossover network.
Learn how to build your own speaker crossovers using a typical PC. Use the computer to set up digital crossover slopes, play music, movies, and even add room correction.
You can even build your own HTPC (home theater PC) very easily.
How the PC or HTPC speaker crossover works
This is a start to finish breakdown of the different software and hardware functions and how they work.
• J River (or your media player) plays the media file; in this case let’s say an uncompressed WAV file that was burned to hard drive from a CD.
• Within the J River player it also can implement an up sampler that takes the output from 44.1 KHz up to 88.2 KHz. You have to set this up within J River, but I like this feature. This is in their output configurations tab.
• I set J River to output this signal to the ESI Juli@ digital output.
• The digital signal exits the computer via a digital coax cable (from the Juli@).
The Echo Audiofire 8
• The digital coax cable is plugged into an Echo Audiofire8 firewire interface box. (which is also plugged into the PC via firewire cable)
• The Echo firewire interface intercepts the digital signal from the coax cable (from the Juli@) and sends it back into the PC through the firewire cable.
Thuneau Allocator Lite speaker crossover network software
• For the speaker crossover network I use Thuneau Allocator Lite software
o Thuneau Allocator Lite is a software program that can take its input from any ASIO interface on your PC
o I set the Alloc. Lite to take its signal from the digital input on the Echo Audiofire 8 (which is receiving the signal from the ESI Juli@).
o The Alloc. Lite software will take the two channel digital signal and split it into a 2 way, 3 way, or 4 way speaker crossover. Sending the right signal to each of the speaker drivers that they can handle.
- You need to follow the instructions that come with the Allocator Lite to properly set up the crossover slopes for each speaker driver.
- If you have built your own DIY speakers you need to choose drivers that will work well with one another. Study the frequency response and distortion characteristics of many drivers before choosing your final setup. Make sure you understand this process.
- You can also use a Thuneau Frequency Allocator (this is a different software product than the Allocator Lite, which is only crossover and room correction) to correct the phase of your speaker system.
The Frequency Allocator product has both the Phase Arbitrator and Allocator Lite built into it. So it can correct for phase while also correcting for room correction and speaker crossovers slopes.
• The Allocator Lite will then output (while still in the digital domain) the 6 channels of digital signal to a multi-channel firewire DAC.
You need one channel for each channel of acoustic output. I have a 3 way speaker system, so I need 3 channels for each stereo speaker.
o Which means I need a total of 6 output channels
o You can even do surround sound this way. You would just need more output DAC channels. And more instances of Allocator Lite crossover network software as well as a surround sound decoder.
• The 6 individual channels of digital output are sent back out of the PC via the firewire cable to the Echo Audiofire 8. (the firewire cable and devices can send the digital signal both ways, and in this case it does)
Digital to Analog Conversion
• The Echo Audiofire 8 then does a D to A conversion (within the firewire interface box), also known as a DAC. This is the first time that the signal is converted into analog.
The Echo converts the digital signal to analog, applies gain, and sends the signal to your amplifiers.
You can use the digital volume control of the PC to provide volume. I have a keyboard that has a volume control on it, just for convenience.
o There are some arguments about digital volume controls, but with an up sampled 88.2 KHz signal the loss is pretty minor. You have to decide if this is worth it to invest in an additional piece of equipment (analog multi-channel preamp).
Speaker Crossoverdigital crossover
speaker driver recommendations
Stereo Speakers and Stereo Systems
home stereo wireless speakers
home stereo speakers
To receive Monthly updates and our Newsletter -including exclusive information to the Audio or Video Enthusiast, join our newsletter club by filling out the form below.
Our Monthly newsletter provides additional information not already provided on this site.
This newsletter will also let you know of any upcoming product sales.
"Peter, I just wanted to drop you a quick note and say how impressed I am with these speakers. They are EXACTLY what I was looking for..very very small with big sound.
My wife loves them as well. They look great, and you hardly notice them at all sitting on the shelf. They integrate perfectly as surrounds. I have them crossed over at 150 as you recommended...simply fantastic. I only have about 15 hours on them so far, so I know they will only get better. You really have something here. Kelly ~ Montana USA
"I found these speakers by accident and after reading all the available info and after several emails back and forth with the company owner I decided I had nothing to lose, so I ordered a set of 5 mini cube speakers.
Peter was very helpful and patient and always responded to my emails within hours.
I have had the speakers set up for a couple of days and they sound great; they are everything described on the web site.
The sound from these small speakers truly is awesome.
I replaced a set of very high quality but also very large speakers and have not been disappointed... and the wife loves not having four large speakers in the living room.
The sound from these speakers really does fill the entire house, I was concerned about the small size of the speakers due to the fact I like to listen to music and movies at volumes most would consider loud.
These speakers are more than capable of playing at volume levels louder than I ever need while also maintaining very high quality sound. ~by; William (Corinth,TX)
"I ordered these speakers in the hope of bringing some life to my entertainment system... I didn’t think it would bring room filling sound to my entire house. These speakers not only fill my den with crystal clear sound, but radiate great sound throughout the house. Thanks for such a great product!" Celia ~Malasia IP#126.96.36.199
"these speakers breathed new life back into my music, I had no idea such small surround sound speakers could perform so well." John from US IP# 188.8.131.52
"how you got so much performance out of these speakers I have no idea -Great product!" Andrew from Denmark IP# 184.108.40.206
"nice speakers, nice finish, blended in with my room well and the wife is happy too. Great sound presentation! Now I just wish you guys made a subwoofer." Kyle from US IP# 220.127.116.11
"These surround sound speakers are amazing! After running them in for a couple days, I decided to play some tunes, and they never once sounded distorted or strained...
While I know they should be paired with a good sub-woofer bass system, I think they sound good enough that I can wait until I have the money to buy a really nice sub." Fred US IP#18.104.22.168
"Wow, what a great set of speakers. I really understand what you mean by a large sound-stage." Sandy from US IP# 22.214.171.124
"Recently I came to realize that my HDTV was better than my sound system... So, I decided to piece together a better sound system. Running across your site (and these speakers) was the best thing that has happened to my home theater.
My current system is; an older receiver, a home theater PC with a blue-ray player drive, and one pair of your Mini-Cubes. (for now; I plan to buy 3 more speakers soon)" Kevin US IP#126.96.36.199
"Purchasing a new set of surround sound speakers was a must for me. My old system looked awful and sounded even worse. The quality and look of your Mini-Cube speaker were a perfect fit.
Once I reviewed the ratings and tests I knew they would be perfect. I will be sure to look for more information and products from you. I can't believe the performance of these surround sound speakers for the modest price. I would recommend these speakers to anyone!" Mike US IP#172.16.2.142
"The overall quality and dynamic capacity of these speakers really took me by surprise. Their imaging is distinct, tonality is crystal clear, and oh yeah... they pump out some serious volume!
I feel like I have stolen speakers that I can't afford. People that spend more are Suckers!!" Micah US #Ohio