Room EQ Wizard: "FREE downloadable Speaker Measurement Program":
This is useful in a variety of ways;
1. Measure the response of your speakers
2. Measure the room response with your speakers playing test tones.
3. Measure with the intent of creating a room correction inverse filter; this filter system would correct for peaks created by the dimensions and boundaries of your room.
These filters can be exported as WAV files and used while playback of any stored music file correcting the output as it plays. It works great.
Other Uses:You can also use this measurement software to apply correction slopes from within the EQ slope legs of a digital software crossover. I have used both methods, the first using the inverse WAV file is simpler to set up, either will give excellent results and is well worth the effort.
Room EQ Wizard can also be used with a Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro and some TAG McLaren preamplifier models. The way I use it is with a PC.
It may be a bit beyond its original design intent, but this software can be used to implement digital room correction for an HTPC or Home Theater Personal Computer. (For making the measurements anyway)
This is the way I recommend using it. But it has many other uses as well so I thought I would list them here straight from the product description page.
Here is the Features List from their site:
• Support for Behringer Feedback Destroyer Pro models DSP1124P and FBQ2496, including filter setup via Midi (Midi interface required).
• Support for the TMREQ equalizer in the TAG McLaren AV32R DP and AV192R AV processors
• Signal Generator offers sine waves, square waves, linear and logarithmic sine sweeps, random pink noise (full range, speaker calibration, sub calibration and custom filtered)
• Compensation for C-weighting when using an external SPL meter as the input
• calibration files can be loaded for microphones or SPL meters
• Existing measurement results can be imported from ETF 5, text files or WAV files –(this is the type I am speaking of.)
• Frequency response measured using logarithmically swept sine signals for fast, accurate measurements with approx. 0.36Hz resolution across the measured range or via real time analyzer with up to 1/48th octave resolution.
• Impulse response is derived from the measurement, allowing spectral decay plots, waterfalls and energy-time curves to be generated. Impulse responses can be exported to and imported from WAV files with 16, 24 or 32-bit resolution.
• Reverberation times derived in accordance with ISO 3382 in octave or one-third octave bands with results for Early Decay time (EDT), T20, T30 and an optimal fit RT60 figure.
• Automatic identification of peaks in the response, automatic assignment of filters to peaks and optimization of filter parameters to counter the peaks. This filter assignment is really fun to play around with. The benefits are immediate and obvious.
• Filter settings and sets of measured data can be saved to and restored from files. The filters' impulse response can be exported as a WAV file for use with a convolve plug-in, such as http://convolver.sourceforge.net/
Summary for Room EQ Wizard:Using this measurement system will give your home theater or stereo speakers music system a more accurate presentation.
I cannot imagine having a music or home theater system without the use of this type of product.
There are other ways to achieve what this system does but they are substantially more expensive. Why bother when you can have this for a small donation?
More Articles about Home Theater and Speaker Building:• HTPC - What is it?
To receive Monthly updates and our Newsletter -including exclusive information to the Audio or Video Enthusiast, join our newsletter club by filling out the form below.
Our Monthly newsletter provides additional information not already provided on this site.
This newsletter will also let you know of any upcoming product sales.
"Peter, I just wanted to drop you a quick note and say how impressed I am with these speakers. They are EXACTLY what I was looking for..very very small with big sound.
My wife loves them as well. They look great, and you hardly notice them at all sitting on the shelf. They integrate perfectly as surrounds. I have them crossed over at 150 as you recommended...simply fantastic. I only have about 15 hours on them so far, so I know they will only get better. You really have something here. Kelly ~ Montana USA
"I found these speakers by accident and after reading all the available info and after several emails back and forth with the company owner I decided I had nothing to lose, so I ordered a set of 5 mini cube speakers.
Peter was very helpful and patient and always responded to my emails within hours.
I have had the speakers set up for a couple of days and they sound great; they are everything described on the web site.
The sound from these small speakers truly is awesome.
I replaced a set of very high quality but also very large speakers and have not been disappointed... and the wife loves not having four large speakers in the living room.
The sound from these speakers really does fill the entire house, I was concerned about the small size of the speakers due to the fact I like to listen to music and movies at volumes most would consider loud.
These speakers are more than capable of playing at volume levels louder than I ever need while also maintaining very high quality sound. ~by; William (Corinth,TX)
"I ordered these speakers in the hope of bringing some life to my entertainment system... I didn’t think it would bring room filling sound to my entire house. These speakers not only fill my den with crystal clear sound, but radiate great sound throughout the house. Thanks for such a great product!" Celia ~Malasia IP#220.127.116.11
"these speakers breathed new life back into my music, I had no idea such small surround sound speakers could perform so well." John from US IP# 18.104.22.168
"how you got so much performance out of these speakers I have no idea -Great product!" Andrew from Denmark IP# 22.214.171.124
"nice speakers, nice finish, blended in with my room well and the wife is happy too. Great sound presentation! Now I just wish you guys made a subwoofer." Kyle from US IP# 126.96.36.199
"These surround sound speakers are amazing! After running them in for a couple days, I decided to play some tunes, and they never once sounded distorted or strained...
While I know they should be paired with a good sub-woofer bass system, I think they sound good enough that I can wait until I have the money to buy a really nice sub." Fred US IP#188.8.131.52
"Wow, what a great set of speakers. I really understand what you mean by a large sound-stage." Sandy from US IP# 184.108.40.206
"Recently I came to realize that my HDTV was better than my sound system... So, I decided to piece together a better sound system. Running across your site (and these speakers) was the best thing that has happened to my home theater.
My current system is; an older receiver, a home theater PC with a blue-ray player drive, and one pair of your Mini-Cubes. (for now; I plan to buy 3 more speakers soon)" Kevin US IP#220.127.116.11
"Purchasing a new set of surround sound speakers was a must for me. My old system looked awful and sounded even worse. The quality and look of your Mini-Cube speaker were a perfect fit.
Once I reviewed the ratings and tests I knew they would be perfect. I will be sure to look for more information and products from you. I can't believe the performance of these surround sound speakers for the modest price. I would recommend these speakers to anyone!" Mike US IP#172.16.2.142
"The overall quality and dynamic capacity of these speakers really took me by surprise. Their imaging is distinct, tonality is crystal clear, and oh yeah... they pump out some serious volume!
I feel like I have stolen speakers that I can't afford. People that spend more are Suckers!!" Micah US #Ohio