Most consumers have not even heard what a truly high end audio system can do for home theater or music playback.
Hi end products are also only available at select high end retailers.
And as I already said, they are frightfully expensive. Part of the reason is the retail markup chain.
Did you know you have another option besides The Typical Speaker Box Boredom?
Nearly every audiophile and movie buff I meet says they would never consider building their own speakers.
But when I ask them a few questions they begin to see my way of thought.
Before starting a speaker project:
1. Are you generally handy with tools? Can you keep from cutting off your arm while using a table saw?
Operating power equipment is not difficult if you take some general precautions and think about what you are doing.
2. Do you own some basic tools? Tools like a power saw, clamps, router, and table saw. These tools will make building your own speakers much easier. But with a little creativity even a power saw alone can perform many tasks. Using a straight edge and clamps along with a power saw can serve to cut straight lines that a table saw would normally make.
3. Do you know how to glue pieces of wood together? Gluing together the pieces of a speaker box is where you can see your project take shape. This is the fun part, and it is easy to do!
4. Can you install a program on your computer? (Can you follow the instructions in the program manual?)(Or; can you read and do exactly what you read about?) I’m not trying to poke fun, but don’t make this more difficult than it really is.
Your speakers can be controlled in many ways. I personally believe that the best way to execute crossovers, room correction, and playback is with a computer. You can use the PC to tailor your speakers to your specific room using specific software. But you could also use any other speaker crossover method you choose as well.
5. Can you solder wires together? Using a soldering gun is easy. If you have two clean pieces of copper or silver metal, some flux, solder and a soldering gun you can do it too.
6. Can you buy parts online? Many of the best prices you will find are through online vendors. You will need to be able to purchase items through online parts retailers. Most of my speaker drivers are purchased through Parts Express. Speaker Building - Build your perfect speaker with our parts and supplies from crossover components to full kits. If you lay out your plan for building speakers you can have a high degree of success in completing your project. My first project turned out better than I expected it would, and it was not very difficult to complete. It was mostly just a time investment –which I was glad to do because I was pretty sure it would be worth it.
Thankfully, it was well worth the effort and I have never bought another pair of retail speakers since the day they were finished.
This sounds too Hard... Is There another way to Building a Speaker Box?If you don’t have any tools you still have one other option: You could take your speaker box plans to a local cabinet shop and have them make the cuts for you.
These cabinet shops are well equipped and can easily perform the cutting for any speaker cabinet project. You could then pick up the cut pieces and assemble them at home. This would be much cheaper than buying pre-made cabinets and the quality will be unmatched by all but the highest quality speaker boxes.
Honestly, the most difficult thing about building speakers is the Speaker Box finishYou have a few options here;
1. You could paint the speakers.
2. Or you can apply a wood veneer to them.
I don’t have a personal preference. Some like the look of wood. Some don’t. I bought a paint gun so that I could always apply some nice paint in a professional way for various projects. You may think this is too complicated.
But you could also have a body shop paint them for you in their spray booth. Just make sure they are ready with all voids filled, sanded etc. or they will not look good even with the best paint job.
I think real wood veneer is much easier to apply than a nice paint finish. There are multiple techniques concerning wood veneer and this article does not go into detail on that task. Search on Google for “applying wood veneer” to see many of articles about how to apply veneer.
Finishing the exterior of your speaker cabinets may be the most critical step to get correct; as this is the part of the speaker that everyone will see…
You would think that other factors like excellent sound quality would be the most difficult to achieve. Not in my experience; if you follow the design principles discussed on this site, achieving high sound quality will be the easy part.
My advice is that you take your time and make sure the setup is well thought out. Know what you are going to do before you do it. Then do it!
Additional Speaker Box Hints:• Make your own speaker brackets for mounting the speakers on the walls. They can be purpose built and the exact size that you need.
• You can even make your own DIY home theater speakers. These are basically the same as a musical speaker but may have larger bass drivers for additional impact down low.
• Use proven speaker box plans that will help you achieve great results. To see our custom speaker plans go to our digital audio speaker page.
• Build a speaker box that is smaller, like a set of computer speakers to start out. Then take on a more complex project after you finish them. You will be more confident and comfortable after having one build under your belt.
• Design your own custom speaker boxes and develop your own plans. This is not for everyone. There are a lot of factors to consider with speaker building but if you set your mind to it, you can do it. Go back to the top of page!
Don't want to build speakers and just want a small surround sound speakers system? - go here!
Other Related Articles
2. Don't want to build? Just get these awesome little surround sound speakers.
3. Should you use 12 guage speaker wire?
4. Learn more about speaker building using digital crossovers and awesome cabinet construction.
5. Need speaker-box plans?
6. Excellent DIY speaker projects.
7. Get home theater speakers best for your room.
8. Before starting your project, be sure to check out our speaker driver recommendations.
9. Need help with speaker cabinet design?
10. More help with speaker-box design.
11. Speaker crossover basics, learn all about the crossover.
12. The right speaker cabinet hardware for your speakers.
13. Video tutorial on how to do an HTPC build.
14. Have monitor speakers? Build these DIY speaker stands.
15. Need cheap surround sound speakers that won't break the bank?
16. The source for affordable Speaker Carpet.
More resources to back our speaker box theories:
More resources that support our theory, this is an outside source published by Audioholics; an article about speaker panel resonance.
To receive Monthly updates and our Newsletter -including exclusive information to the Audio or Video Enthusiast, join our newsletter club by filling out the form below.
Our Monthly newsletter provides additional information not already provided on this site.
This newsletter will also let you know of any upcoming product sales.
"Peter, I just wanted to drop you a quick note and say how impressed I am with these speakers. They are EXACTLY what I was looking for..very very small with big sound.
My wife loves them as well. They look great, and you hardly notice them at all sitting on the shelf. They integrate perfectly as surrounds. I have them crossed over at 150 as you recommended...simply fantastic. I only have about 15 hours on them so far, so I know they will only get better. You really have something here. Kelly ~ Montana USA
"I found these speakers by accident and after reading all the available info and after several emails back and forth with the company owner I decided I had nothing to lose, so I ordered a set of 5 mini cube speakers.
Peter was very helpful and patient and always responded to my emails within hours.
I have had the speakers set up for a couple of days and they sound great; they are everything described on the web site.
The sound from these small speakers truly is awesome.
I replaced a set of very high quality but also very large speakers and have not been disappointed... and the wife loves not having four large speakers in the living room.
The sound from these speakers really does fill the entire house, I was concerned about the small size of the speakers due to the fact I like to listen to music and movies at volumes most would consider loud.
These speakers are more than capable of playing at volume levels louder than I ever need while also maintaining very high quality sound. ~by; William (Corinth,TX)
"I ordered these speakers in the hope of bringing some life to my entertainment system... I didn’t think it would bring room filling sound to my entire house. These speakers not only fill my den with crystal clear sound, but radiate great sound throughout the house. Thanks for such a great product!" Celia ~Malasia IP#22.214.171.124
"these speakers breathed new life back into my music, I had no idea such small surround sound speakers could perform so well." John from US IP# 126.96.36.199
"how you got so much performance out of these speakers I have no idea -Great product!" Andrew from Denmark IP# 188.8.131.52
"nice speakers, nice finish, blended in with my room well and the wife is happy too. Great sound presentation! Now I just wish you guys made a subwoofer." Kyle from US IP# 184.108.40.206
"These surround sound speakers are amazing! After running them in for a couple days, I decided to play some tunes, and they never once sounded distorted or strained...
While I know they should be paired with a good sub-woofer bass system, I think they sound good enough that I can wait until I have the money to buy a really nice sub." Fred US IP#220.127.116.11
"Wow, what a great set of speakers. I really understand what you mean by a large sound-stage." Sandy from US IP# 18.104.22.168
"Recently I came to realize that my HDTV was better than my sound system... So, I decided to piece together a better sound system. Running across your site (and these speakers) was the best thing that has happened to my home theater.
My current system is; an older receiver, a home theater PC with a blue-ray player drive, and one pair of your Mini-Cubes. (for now; I plan to buy 3 more speakers soon)" Kevin US IP#22.214.171.124
"Purchasing a new set of surround sound speakers was a must for me. My old system looked awful and sounded even worse. The quality and look of your Mini-Cube speaker were a perfect fit.
Once I reviewed the ratings and tests I knew they would be perfect. I will be sure to look for more information and products from you. I can't believe the performance of these surround sound speakers for the modest price. I would recommend these speakers to anyone!" Mike US IP#172.16.2.142
"The overall quality and dynamic capacity of these speakers really took me by surprise. Their imaging is distinct, tonality is crystal clear, and oh yeah... they pump out some serious volume!
I feel like I have stolen speakers that I can't afford. People that spend more are Suckers!!" Micah US #Ohio